Oxfam, one of the leading global development organizations, mobilizes the power of people against poverty. We are a diverse confederation of 17 strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programs.
For our humanitarian Programme in North East Nigeria we are looking for a suitably qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods Team Leader
Req ID: 2683
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with frequent travel to field bases
Starting Date: 15th September, 2017
- The focus of the role is to provide technical expertise to the EFSVL team, for whom market based (cash and voucher) programming is relatively new for Oxfam in Nigeria.
- The role is also to support and lead the scale up and maintain the EFSVL program pace in Nigeria, through contributing the strategic direction, ensuring quality and standard of accountability in EFSVL, providing technical support to the Team, build the capacity of officers and assistants assigned including those of partners and timely contribute to proposal writing, reporting and Situation reports.
Key Responsibilities and Accountability (non exhaustive list)
- To lead the implementation of EFSVL programme components in areas where Oxfam is responding to a humanitarian crisis, in line with Oxfam policy and agreed standards (as per approved project plans). This includes undertaking rapid needs assessments, scoping, designing, implementing and monitoring the EFSVL programme.
- Play a strong leadership role within the EFSVL team in area of response, managing an EFSVL team and working closely with Partner staff, where applicable. This includes:
- Ensuring the EFSVL team are working closely and proactively with the MEAL, logistics and finance teams and adhering to required procedures in implementing program activities on a timely, transparent and accountable manner.
- Managing, supporting, coordinating and appraising EFSVL staff appropriately, effectively and according to policy and procedures to increase understanding and build capacity on livelihoods and food security issues within the team and with partners where necessary.
- To work with teams to develop clear, realistic and achievable work plans for EFSVL interventions.
- To contribute to Concept Notes and draft proposals for funding as required.
- To coordinate with other agencies, particularly those undertaking EFSVL programmes including Food Distributions, UTC, Cash for Work, Vouchers, livelihood protection and promotion activities including agricultural and livestock support.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- A suitable qualification in the relevant field of food security and livelihoods (Agriculture Economics, Economics, Community Development, etc.)
- At least four (4) years in relief and /or development work with INGO / NGO/ or Government, and knowledge and experience of work in EFSL interventions, including market based and cash transfer programmes (vouchers included), Experience of in kind food or other items distributions;
- Proven experience in designing, implementing and monitoring UTC, CfW and Voucher programmes This includes designing all necessary formats and training staff in the implementing CTP.
- Proven experience in post distribution monitoring and price monitoring.
- Proven experience in market assessment and analysis.
- Experience and knowledge of Livelihood asset protection and recovery activities in emergency and post-emergency situations.
- Good understanding of Resilience approaches.
- Strong leadership and management skills and ability to work and build a good team and team spirit. Strong mentoring and capacity building skills. Ability to work autonomously with minimum supervision.
- Good communicator in English – both written and oral as well as a good listener.
- Good community participation skills – PRA and other methodologies, good negotiating capacities.
- Already worked in conflict zone and complex crisis areas, difficult rural locations, able to work and deliver under stress;
A competitive and fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Job Title: Protection Team Leader – Roving
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travelling to the field
Job Type: Full time/ 40 hours a week
Duration: 6 months, extendable
Purpose of the position
- To support the development and implementation of Oxfam s humanitarian work by providing specialist advice and support on humanitarian protection.
- This will include implementing mainstreaming protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities in particular, protection monitoring and information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s policies and guidelines for managing information and the relevant professional standards in protection work.
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities and provide technical support to the Protection Officers to undertake their responsibilities in line with their role and responsibility.
- Join field protection officers in monitoring and analysing protection issues affecting populations in area of Oxfam operations.
- Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including regarding engagement with armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in providing services.
- Prepare for and organize community consultations and community based orientation sessions, in coordination with Oxfam team(s) and other partners.
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research.
- Monitors protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation.
- Support the Protection Coordinator, Programme Managers and Team Leaders to strategize, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection through all programme activities.
- Support the Protection Coordinator and Programme Manager in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response.
- Support the Protection Coordinator in mainstreaming protection across Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria.
- Provide technical support to WaSH, EFSVL and MEAL teams in integrating protection within their programmatic tools, such as targeting criteria or PDM.
- In collaboration with the Protection Coordinator and the Programme Manager, ensure program staff members are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs.
Advocacy and Research:
- Support protection-related advocacy researches and surveys in coordination with the Protection Coordinator and the Policy, Media, Advocacy and Campaigns department.
- Support Program Team for preparing written protection updates for Oxfam situation reports.
- Develop lines of communication and close collaboration with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR, IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and relevant Areas of Responsibility
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and reporting
- Produce gendered protection updates that will be included in field visit reports
- Organise and prepare protection analysis if and when required
- Contribute in Sitreps, monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
- Other duties and responsibilities required by the line manager
- You have an University degree at Masters level in a relevant discipline (law – including international law –, political science, social science, peace and conflict studies, or any other relevant education profile);
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work, preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure environments.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically Oxfam’s approach to and role in protection work including advocacy;
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors;
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking, including experience developing written analysis and strategies for protection
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners.
What We Offer
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
- The salary range for this position is set in scale 8 with a salary range between € 2672,- to € 4110, – gross based on 40 hours a week.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 8th September, 2017.